According to http://www.whatisrss.com/ RSS (Rich Site Summary) is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it.
This really makes sense to me! I can’t believe how many things there are out there that I just don’t know about. Like Francesca Pelle, I have never found myself to be a very efficient internet user trying to sift through the loads of information to find out what I am looking for. There are so many sites that I visit regularly to see what’s new. With Google reader I could just go there and check it all out. It might be a little time consuming subscribing to all the sites but I am sure it’d be less time then when I sit there looking things up everyday.
In the classroom I think it would be good for the students to be able to access news sites, blogs etc to see what is new each day. It could become kind of a daily comprehension task where they find the news of the day, read it and write down what happened in plain English. I also like Francesca’s idea for younger students: “For the younger grades who are not so good at researching information, the teacher could assist the students to subscribe to a handful of sites that are reputable and reliable for them to access information.”
Overall I can really see the benefits of this web tool and will try and use it and see how I go. Apparently it is addictive.
No comments:
Post a Comment