As a staff we were introduced to scootle in 2009. I have found it to be a great professional resource as it allows me to be able to search for things that I am teaching at the moment. It has saved me a lot of search time when I am looking for specific topical websites. For teachers K – 12 I would recommend scootle as a useful tool. I have been looking at programming my Multiplication and Division unit for term 2 and was unsure of where to start. I had a quick search of Scoole and up popped a whole heap of different interactive pages I could use. I have now saved them as links in a Smart Notebook so that I can use them with my class. They would also be good to put onto my classes myClass page so that they can explore according to level of understanding. Scootle is very user friendly and definitely a favourite of mine!! It doesn’t have everything but it definitely a time saver for me!
I am a Facebook user but very quickly became aware for the importance of keeping the information on this site private. This is definitely not a tool that should be used in the classroom with the students or a means of communication between students. I think in your personal life it has a place but as a professional, I think you need to be very cautious of who you become friends with and what information you’re willing to share with your so called ‘friends’ on Facebook. As for other social networking sites I haven’t ever used any of them and like Facebook I feel they really have no place in an educational or classroom forum.
As for ‘second life’ if that is reality and really happening, where is education going to go from there? Creating virtual worlds that people can choose what they are wearing where they travel and what they learn makes learning very individual and egocentric. I think the children would love it, and probably learn a lot from being completely immersed in the content!
Wow! Where will things go next??
No comments:
Post a Comment