Thursday, March 24, 2011

Module Five - Creating and Communicating Online

Wow there was so much involved in this module! 3 great tools that have great potential for children and teachers alike.

Starting with bubbl.us! I have made a mind map of my ideas from web 2 and I have found that it is a good summary of what we've done so far. For me in Year 2 I think that this could be a little tricky for my students to attempt, however, for upper primary, they'd be able summarise their units of work, or even use as a tool to go back to throughout a unit so that they can see their knowledge grow. Mind maps are very common ways for teachers to present information so to have an electronic way would be great.

Now to glogster! I have seen this in action in upper primary and the children really love to use this web tool. I had never personally used it until now but can see the potential for all students and teacher. Personally I think I could use this to assist the school to promote our school open day as well as invitations for masses and as a presentation for children.  I would like to see the children use this as a means of presentation, as an assessment and a creative way to present their work. After looking at the ‘Decisions, Decisions’ glog I feel more confident in my ability to use this in my classroom. I think this is more of a whole class approach and could be uploaded to our class page so that parents can access what the children have been doing at school. I think this is a great tool!

I had a quick look at Prezi too. It seems really engaging and definitely a more interesting way of presenting and sitting through information. I think it might be the ‘PowerPoint of the future! I can see how students can just go onto all of these sites and create presentations for themselves without too much direction. Children are so autonomous these days and all of these are very self explanatory! Impressive web tools where else can things go, I am beginning to wonder??

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mel,

    I love Glogster after doing a Glog for the first time with this Web 2 course. I think it can be used by students to present a video and also write a blurb about it. Your idea of using Glogster to promote the school and use it as an invitation to masses is a good idea. Having the digital media function is excellent in Glogster. Being able to insert a video to promote the school is even better!
    My students do a Healthy Eating video and they can insert their video and make a promotional blurb about their video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mel,

    I agree that these three web tools are just wonderful! With such amazing tools available to us these days, our students have no limits when it comes to their presentation of work and their creativity. I am pleased to have worked through these modules and learnt more about these programs myself, as often I am the one lacking the confidence to use these programs, rather than my eager and much more tech-savvy students!

    I have seen children creating visual presentations using Glogster and Prezi, and the enthusiasm they show is outstanding. The get so involved in the work and take real pride in it. I feel that perhaps Microsoft PowerPoint and other Office programs are becoming quite 'boring' to our students, as they have used them time and time again, and so these new tools have a great place within classrooms today.

    ReplyDelete