Monday, April 18, 2011

FINAL COURSE REFLECTION

eLearning and iLE@RN

The framework and papers developed by the Catholic Education Office really brings to light the importance of building an effective teaching and learning environment. It is important that we as educators remember that Technology is a tool to achieve this goal. I have always thought that the ‘e’ stood for electronic and the ‘I’ represented the internet. After further exploration words such as Engaging, Evolving, Examining and Emerging seem to stand out more significantly. We live in an information rich age where all of these ‘E’ words are important to ensure that we as teachers provide the best education for our students. As teachers we need to be aware of the vast amount of information that the students can access and this information allows them greater control over their learning. We need to encourage responsible learners to allow us to remove the walls of the classroom. In our students we need to instil ‘I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY OWN LEARNING’ and I am involved in negotiating my own learning experiences. We as educators are responsible for developing the skills that the students require in order to work in this environment.

Blooms Taxonomy

The new model of Blooms that incorporates the use of technology has shown me in nut shell when each stage in technological development the children can be at. I know that the children I teach are in the use and remembering stages of this grid where as our year 6 students who are making voki’s, wiki’s, etc are up to the creating element of their learning. I think tools such as Flickr, mind mapping and second life fit between apply and create on the blooms grid.

Summary

Overall I feel as a teacher I have gained so much in terms of my own professional learning. I have been engaged in my learning through these tools and I have been able to gradually implement certain aspects of this course into my current year 2 classroom. I think it will be important for me to stay in touch with the growing changes in technology because by the time I am teaching upper primary who knows what technology will be around. I have found this very valuable to my professional development.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Melissah on a great learning journey and a really interesting blog reflective journal. I hope you have a lot of new ideas and approaches to take away with you. I hope you don't mind but I am putting a link to your blog in the Blogs to Watch section of the course.
    Best wishes,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed reading your blog posts!

    I too, had the same realisation about elearning and ilearn. They are much more than electronic learning and internet learning!

    It is exciting to have a greater understanding of the Web 2.0 tools to apply to what we already know as teachers!

    Regards,

    Amy Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful and information Blog posts! I started browsing through your posts and I became hooked. I really agree with so many aspects that you have commented on throughout your Blog, however I really liked your final reflection.
    Teaching students to be responsible for their own learning, to show initiative and be creative are all such important life skills. It is so easy as a teacher to create closed tasks, they are informative and quick for students. It is much more difficult to create open ended task that require investigations and collaboration, but these tasks are where students thrive!!
    So I agree that our responsibility as a teacher is to assist students in gaining skills to keep up with the modern day and technological age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    My name is Phil Mitchell and I am just completing the Web 2.0 course. I like the way you have set out your Blog and I will take the time to develop mine.
    This has been a great learning curve for me and it has taken me some time to understand the technology. Your thoughts are quite intuitive and I guess an old dog can be taught new tricks.
    My students have and will continue to benefit from my learning throughout the Web 2.0 Course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree in the fact that students should be responsible for their own
    learning. We as teachers need to encourage students to be responsible for their own learning. I also believe that we need to teach students about being responsible when using digital media.
    As teachers I agree that we need to learn the skills necessary to teach
    students about digital media as we are living in a digital age.

    Regards,

    Bernadette Kazzi

    ReplyDelete