I have never been a consistent user of any kind of bookmarking, not because I don’t like them but because I always forget that it is there. After working with my class last term and they were bookmarking via our school website it started to make me think how important it really is. Bookmarking in the normal way is very useful but as the YouTube clip said ‘What do you do when you’re not at your computer?’
After watching the YouTube clip and exploring the site I can really see its value for me professionally and for my classroom. On a personal level I think having the ability to go onto a website like ‘Delicious’ and find all the things that I had been looking up on my home computer would be very handy. I really like the network aspect of ‘Delicious’ or the ‘Social bookmarking’. As a teacher you can go and find colleagues and have a look at some of the sites they are using for resources for their classroom. I know as a staff we’re always sending little emails to each other saying check out this site if you’re looking for ….. However I think we could use delicious and be able to check out these site more frequently and remember them rather then moving further down my email list until I forget them.
I can really see how this could work in a classroom too. If you were assigning you students a research task it would be a great way for them to save the websites that they are using, share them with their friends and for me as a teacher to be able to suggest websites for them to use too. I think the use of delicious would have to be a lesson in its self; however, children seem to have an amazing mind for technology and would be able to use it proficiently. I think it would save a lot of time and student wouldn’t need to keep locating the websites they’ve been using and be able to share with their friends.
I think this is a very valuable tool and will try and be a more avid user of it in the future.
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteI've just got back into the Course and like you have thoroughly enjoyed learning about Web 2.0 tools. Unfortunately, after starting the course earlier in the year, I lost track of time and have only just now got back into the modules. Reading yours and other participants blogs have given have helped to spark my interest in completing the course.
Totally agree with your comments concerning Delicious - what an invaluable tool for my own personal use. Have hundreds of sites on various computers and always have difficulty accessing and combining them - but now I know what I can do, especially when researching a topic both professionally and for personal interests. Also agree with your comment about using it in a classroom situation.
Gerry
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteLike Gerry I have been in a bit of a funk regarding completing the Web 2.0 course. Despite finding it really useful I think the teaching side of being a teacher just got on top of me - but now I am back and for the first time commenting on someone's blog!
Just wanted to support your thoughts on the delicious site - a really useful tool that hopefully will become part of my day to day.
Well done on your blog and the completion of the course.
Ellie
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteI have had trouble commenting on other people's blogs so thought I would try commenting on yours since it appears to have worked for others. So I am hoping this works.
In regards to Delicious, I use a Mac computer at home so make good use of the bookmarking option. However, I think Delicious just seems to go even one step further than the simple bookmark option. For the simple fact that you don't need your personal laptop to find these bookmarks. You can log in on any computer wherever you are, as long as you have the internet. What a wonderful, time-saving resource to have found thanks to Web 2.0!
Megan
Delicious has recently updated it's interface and introduced a "stacks" feature which allows you to create and manage groups of bookmarks, then easily share these with others - a cool new feature.
ReplyDeleteGreat to see everyone appreciating what a useful tool Delicious can be for their own productivity and for student learning.
THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN POSTED ON BEHALF OF MARK HEISS.
ReplyDeleteHi Mel,
Hope that it is OK that I comment on your blog for this Module.
I read your blog with interest and the comments associated with it. I was very sceptical beginning this module. I mean I'd bookmarked/favourite websites. What was a simple website going to do for me? But then I realised the potential lay in the latter part of the presentation, the sharing.
The staff that we have here at my school is very good at sharing resources. We help each other a lot with activites and tasks as well as websites. Delicious has just opened up that sharing to a new level.
I also see the benefit in my students becoming members and sharing their finds in the web. It is the same type of sharing that occurs in the play ground only this time it isn't stories, food or paper based notes. Our students already share this kind of learning too, now they can create their own online bank of resources. Ones that are mobile as their account isn't linked to their toolbar which is simply linked to one computer.
Nice.
Mark
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with your blog.
I have never considered using any bookmarking tools such as Delicious. To be honest, I didn't know they existed!
It makes perfect sense to be able to store all of your favourite bookmarks in one place.
I think I will be using this tool especially for my HSC classes. Sometimes I find it hard to communicate with students when they are on study leave and you have some extra ideas for their studies.
This is a great site to share other web sites with students that may assist in their studes.
Karin Smith
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteI was looking for a blog to comment on and I checked out yours.I think that Delicious is great for sharing bookmarked websites with other students in the class. It allows students to work collaboratively. I also think that using Delicious to share my bookmarks with the class is great too. I think being able to set bookmarks to private and to public is an excellent feature of Delicious.
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteI was really impressed with your suggestions about how Delicious can be applied to the learning environment. I like how you mentioned about its use towards research tasks,the idea that students can share with their friends, as I had only looked at it from the perspective that they could access it from anywhere and I could use it to assess their skills. I do agree with you in the sense that it would be a lesson on its own initially, but once the skills were taught on how to use it, it would become a tool that was always being used.
HI - am sure this comment will not be read - however as part of the course requirements we are required to comment on another blog.
ReplyDeleteI like Delicious and had not heard of it before this course but I can see great benefit from it as I have a hideous amount of book marks and it is great to actually have a central place to 'store' them enabling us to access via any computer.
I think your ideas of what to do with them in in class situation is a good idea.
Best wishes if you do eventually read this :)