Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Module Six - Flickr


I wish I knew about ‘Flickr’ this time last year. On a personal level I think that Flicker is great! To be able to share photos with family and friends and get as creative as you want is awesome! I was travelling OS for 6 months and this would have made it an easy way for me to keep my family and friends up to date with where I was in the world. Here I can choose as an adult what pictures I wish to share

On a professional level I do have questions! We all know when we upload pictures onto Facebook that we basically loose possession of our pictures. With Flickr I know that you can make images public or private but how safe is it to be putting pictures up on the net. I think this would have to come down to the individual parent and family if they feel that having images of their children online, appropriate. I agree with Alana Costa that to be able to share images with children after a carnival or excursion would be great, so long as every child had parental consent. Also websites where children can search images can also be dangerous. How often do we type something innocent into Google images and come up with something sinister. If and when using Flickr in the classroom I think I would be very weary of what I allow my students to look at and use.

I also agree with what Greg Salerno said about the smartcopy website. It is good to have a resource out there like this website to be able to get more information keeping safe on the internet. I think that everyone should have a read of this important information to keep themselves safe.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mel,

    I've just got back into the Course and, like you, have thoroughly enjoyed learning about Web 2.0 tools. Unfortunately, after starting the course earlier in the year, I lost track of time and have only just now got back into the modules. Reading yours and other participants blogs have given have helped to spark my interest in completing the course.
    Totally agree with your comments concerning Delicious - what an invaluable tool for my own personal use. Have hundreds of sites on various computers and always have difficulty accessing and combining them - but now I know what I can do, especially when researching a topic both professionally and for personal interests. Also agree with your comment about using it in a classroom situation.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I just read Gerry's comment above and am in the same situation - have read a number of the blogs listed just to see who has similar ideas and gather suggestions.

    I totally agree with you about Flikr. Although i see it as a great tool for personal use i really don't see how it could be beneficial in the classroom - particularly because of the security implications involved. I liked when you said that once posted you can 'loose possession' of them. It is a little scary to know that you then lack control of what happens to the pictures. It is undoubtedly important that parents give permission before anything like this is used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I am so glad lm not the only one who can see the benefit of using Flickr in my personal life more than at school. After reading the part "once you upload a picture you loose possession" made me think of the numerous pictures l have uploaded over the past years on social networks. I definitely never thought about that when l was uploading my pictures. I agree with Beth its definitely a scary about the lack of control and a risky to use at school.

    ReplyDelete